Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Architectural Drawing Workshop: Week 4

Between last week and this week, I visited the Rose Seidler House. It was a great experience and a great home. Even though the house is from an era passed, it still felt modern; I really liked it. I loved the fact that all the furnishing was designed by Seidler too. My favourite fixture was the S bend two drawer desk in the study nooks in the corners of the bedrooms. On top of this, I really appreciated the open plan design of the home and how it helped me understand my drawings.

As for the Science Lawn task, this is what I produced:
After visiting the house, this drawing became much easier to understand. For example, before visiting the house, I thought the opening at the top of the ramp was a window! Beyond this though, I found the task unique. I really enjoyed taking the perspective given to us from real life and constructing a drawing from this. Also, the fact that the entire drawing was proportioned off a single dimension in the picture made the task even more different and enjoyable.

Also needed for this week was the final project. For this, we had to have at least two plans, two sections, two elevations and a single 3D drawing of the Rose Seidler House. This is what I produced:

Firstly, I should say that these drawings took far longer than I ever anticipated. This made it all the more better when I finished them and could actually say I liked them.

I produced a 1:2000 site model which showed the three houses on the plot of land. I wanted to emphasise the dense greenery of the area with trees drawn in plan, however they turned out a little too dominant.
Also included were two 1:100 plans of the house with the main floor plan being perspectival. The tutors really appreciated the decision to create a perspectival plan. What was even more appreciated was the fact that the point at which I took the perspective in the plan was the point at which you would stand to view my other 3D drawing, a perspective looking down the centre of the house from the middle bedroom towards the fireplace. I included this drawing because I valued how the stonework continued as an interior motif.
I then had my two 1:50 sections and elevations, which the tutors said were quite clear.

All in all, the workshop has been quite enjoyable. I especially liked the emphasis on perspective drawing as well as the major project.

No comments:

Post a Comment